Job Opening – Next Gen Students Director
Do you have a calling to minister to the hearts, minds, and souls of teenagers as they discover and develop their faith in Christ? If so, we’d love to talk with you!
We’re looking for a new, full-time Next Gen Students Director who will grow a team to walk alongside our 7th-12th graders, discipling them to be disciple-makers as they go out into the world living the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit.
If you’re interested and would like more information, you can find the job listing and information on how to apply below.
Blue Grass Church is a warm, vibrant community-oriented congregation of 400-500 disciple-makers who are poised for tremendous growth in the rapidly expanding northern suburb of Evansville, Indiana whose population is approaching 200,000. We are centrally located within four major metropolitan areas of Nashville, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Louisville. We are a congregation with excellent leadership and facilities and have a vision to invest in relationships for redemption in Jesus Christ.
We are a theologically conservative United Methodist church.
Our Next Gen Ministry is seeking a highly-relational, organized, Christ-loving candidate who has a heart to disciple students in junior and senior high school. This position is well-supported with a team of staff and volunteers who serve together in living out the overall mission and vision of Next Gen Ministry. As a Next Gen Students Director, you would be joining a dynamic team that currently includes a Next Gen Director, Next Gen Children’s Director, and Next Gen Assistant.
If you have a passion to connect with students where they are and invest in their faith development to build Christ-centered friendships so they are equipped to serve and share God’s love with others, then please check out Blue Grass Church’s Next Gen Director of Student Ministries’ job opening. Full job description is:
Blue Grass’ mission is to be disciple-makers of Jesus Christ.
Blue Grass’ vision is to invest in holy loving relationships with Christ, the Body of Christ, and the world.
Blue Grass Next Gen vision is to be an engaging community led by disciple-makers who invest in children and youth to grow in their faith, build Christ-centered friendships, and equip them to serve and share God’s love with others all to bring glory to God. [NextGen Ministries serves children and families through NextGen Kids (birth-3rd Grade), NextGen Preteens (4-6th Grade), and NextGen Students (7-12th Grade).]
PURPOSE: Next Gen Student Ministries is responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading a comprehensive Christ-centered student ministry program for NextGen Students in grades 7-12 to:
- Build Relationships of Disciples: Facilitate relationships between staff, volunteers, families, and students to build a culture of discipleship that supports students as they develop through different life stages. Equip students to grow in their faith and leadership skills to disciple other students in Christian love. Build family networks within the church to empower parents in the discipleship process and support youth ministry through mentoring and active family engagement.
- Engage Students Where They Are: Meet students where they are both physically (such as coffee shops, extra-curricular activities, etc.) and spiritually to further their growth in faith.
- Equip Youth to Identify and Use their God-given Talents: Provide an atmosphere where all students are empowered to identify their giftedness and serve using their gifts within the church and beyond for the kingdom of God.
- Demonstrates an excitement and commitment to the mission and vision of Blue Grass UMC.
- Organizes, recruits, and develops leadership for church sponsored student ministry.
- Provides highly relational ministry.
- Commits to regular prayer for students, volunteers, and program direction.
- Remains informed of current trends in youth education programs and youth culture.
- Continues professional development through conferences, reading, and exchange of ideas with others.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Work with Next Gen Staff and volunteers to implement the Blue Grass Next Gen vision.
- Plan, organize, and direct youth group, Sunday School, retreats, mission trips, service projects, and confirmation.
- Utilize volunteers throughout youth ministry by recruitment, placement, communication, organization, and training.
- Verbally communicates Scripture effectively to students through weekly teaching opportunities.
- Work with staff and program leaders to integrate student ministry into all facets of church life to create an intergenerational culture of churchwide involvement.
- Maintains a flexible schedule that allows for engaging relationship building with youth in a variety of settings (attendance at extra-curricular events, on social media, during times of crisis, etc.), while also providing boundaries for personal rest and renewal.
- Highlights appropriate student successes and experiences in person and/or via social media.
- Relates well with Next Gen and Blue Grass staff.
- Supports and engages parents in discipleship of their students.
- Develops relationships with local school officials and is available to speak and/or visit in the schools.
- Aligns with Blue Grass UMC policies and procedures in all engagement with youth.
- Responds promptly to emails and texts during appropriate work hours.
- Participates in regular Next Gen and Blue Grass staff meetings.
- Has a vital Christian testimony and clear call to youth ministry.
- Has an understanding of Wesleyan/Methodist doctrine.
- Has a driving passion for leading students and families into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Has a positive personality who thoroughly enjoys engaging students and building Christian community.
- Has a teachable spirit who is prayerful in disposition.
- Student Ministry experience is preferred.
- Undergraduate degree is preferred.
- Exercises discernment, wise judgment, and appropriate confidentiality.
- Serves with excellence by giving attention to detail.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, works independently, and is good at prioritizing projects.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform high quality work with minimum supervision in meeting deadlines.
Pay is commensurate with education and experience.
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with certain benefits and reports to the Next Gen Director. Part-time candidates will, also, be considered depending on availability and fit for purpose.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.